The festivals aren’t quite over yet. The New York Film Festival will kick off with Robert Zemeckis’ “The Walk” on the 25th. Meanwhile, in this comforting interlude, we decided to go ahead and give our predictions a much needed makeover after these past revealing weeks.
What have we learned?
- “Spotlight” is the real deal
- Kaufman’s “Anomalisa” will rival “Inside Out.”
- “The Danish Girl” was good, but with some lukewarm response.
- “Beasts of No Nation” and “Steve Jobs” are strong contenders, but are not likely are winners.
- “The Hateful Eight” test screened to strong reactions, has an intermission “Gone with the Wind” style.
- “The Martian” sounds like a strong crowd-pleaser, should nab some tech attention.
- “Sicario” is a strong sleeper pick, as is “Son of Saul.”
- “Room,” after a strong couple of showings, will likely earn Brie Larson an actress nomination.
- Cate Blanchett will rival Cate Blanchett after two strong performances in both “Carol” and “Truth”
- “Suffragette,” “Freeheld,” “Our Brand is Crisis,” and “I Saw the Light.” all fall off quite a bit after low to mixed responses.
Click “Continue Reading” to see all of our updated predictions, and stay tuned to our Oscar page throughout the New York Film Festival. Continue reading